Instructions for authors
Thank you for choosing to submit your paper to us. These instructions will ensure we have everything required so your paper can move through peer review, production and publication smoothly. Please take the time to read and follow them as closely as possible, as doing so will ensure your paper matches the journal’s requirements.
- About the journal
- Peer review
- Preparing your paper
- Word limits
- Style guidelines
- Formatting and templates
- Using third-party material in your paper
- Submitting your paper
- Publication charges
- Copyright options
- Complying with funding agencies
- Open access
- Authored Works
- Article reprints
About the journal
Culture and Empathy is an international, peer reviewed journal, publishing high-quality, original research. Please see the journal’s Aims & Scope for information about its focus and peer-review policy.Please note that this journal only publishes manuscripts in English.Authors whose first language is not English should ensure that their article has been read and corrected by a person whose first language is English.
Culture and Empathy is committed to peer-review integrity and upholding the highest standards of review. Once your paper has been assessed for suitability by the editor, it will then be double blind peer-reviewed by independent, anonymous expert referees.
Preparing your paper Structure
All submissions should be made by email to the editors (see Submitting your paper below). The email should include 2 separate files to facilitate anonymous peer review.Document 1 should include:
- Title (TO INCLUDE THE APPROPRIATE SUBJECT COUNTRY)
- Author(s) names and affiliations
- Correspondence address and email address
- Keywords, in alphabetic order (6), which must include the appropriate subject country
- Notes on author
Please include a word count for your paper.
A typical article for this journal should be no more than 8000 words; this limit does not include endnotes, figure captions, tables, references.
Please refer to these style guidelines when preparing your paper, rather than any published articles or a sample copy.Please use U.S. -ize spelling style consistently throughout your manuscript.Please use single quotation marks, except where “a quotation is ‘within’ a quotation.” Please note that long quotations should be indented without quotation marks.Numbers: one-ten; 11 etc.
Dates: January 1, 2001 (but Aug-Feb in notes); the 1920s, 1945-48.
Capitalization: use sparingly, generally in titles.
Foreign words should be shown in italics.
Formatting and templates
Papers may be submitted in MS Word format. Figures should be saved separately from the text. To assist you in preparing your paper, we provide formatting templates.Word templates are available for this journal. Please save the template to your hard drive, ready for use.If you are not able to use the templates via the links (or if you have any other template queries) please contact us here.
Please use this reference style guide when preparing your paper. An EndNote output style is also available to assist you.
Checklist: what to include
All authors of a manuscript should include their full name and affiliation on the cover page of the manuscript. Where available, please also include ORCID identifiers and social media handles (Facebook, Twitter or LinkedIn). One author will need to be identified as the corresponding author, with their email address normally displayed in the article PDF (depending on the journal) and the online article. Authors’ affiliations are the affiliations where the research was conducted. If any of the named co-authors moves affiliation during the peer-review process, the new affiliation can be given as a footnote. Please note that no changes to affiliation can be made after your paper is accepted. Read more on authorship.
1. A non-structured abstract of no more than 100 words. Read tips on writing your abstract.
2. 6 keywords, in alphabetic order. Read making your article more discoverable, including information on choosing a title and search engine optimization.
3. Funding details. Please supply all details required by your funding and grant-awarding bodies as follows:
For single agency grants: This work was supported by the [Funding Agency] under Grant [number xxxx].
For multiple agency grants: This work was supported by the [funding Agency 1]; under Grant [number xxxx]; [Funding Agency 2] under Grant [number xxxx]; and [Funding Agency 3] under Grant [number xxxx].
4. Disclosure statement. This is to acknowledge any financial interest or benefit that has arisen from the direct applications of your research. Further guidance on what is a conflict of interest and how to disclose it.
5. Biographical note. Please supply a short biographical note for each author. This could be adapted from your departmental website or academic networking profile and should be relatively brief.
6. Geolocation information. Submitting a geolocation information section, as a separate paragraph before your acknowledgements, means we can index your paper’s study area accurately in JournalMap’s geographic literature database and make your article more discoverable to others.
7. Supplemental online material. Supplemental material can be a video, dataset, fileset, sound file or anything which supports (and is pertinent to) your paper. We publish supplemental material online via Figshare. Find out more about supplemental material and how to submit it with your article.
8. Figures. Figures should be high quality (1200 dpi for line art, 600 dpi for grayscale and 300 dpi for color, at the correct size). Figures should be saved in one of our preferred file formats: EPS, PS, JPEG, GIF, or Microsoft Word (DOC or DOCX). For more information relating to other file types, please consult our submission of electronic artwork document: http://authorservices.taylorandfrancis.com/submission-of-electronic-artwork.
9. Tables. Tables should present new information rather than duplicating what is in the text. Readers should be able to interpret the table without reference to the text. Please supply editable files.
10. Equations. If you are submitting your manuscript as a Word document, please ensure that equations are editable. More information about mathematical symbols and equations.
11. Units. Please use SI units (non-italicized).
Using third-party material in your paper
You must obtain the necessary permission to reuse third-party material in your article. The use of short extracts of text and some other types of material is usually permitted, on a limited basis, for the purposes of criticism and review without securing formal permission. If you wish to include any material in your paper for which you do not hold copyright, and which is not covered by this informal agreement, you will need to obtain written permission from the copyright owner prior to submission.
Submitting your paper
This journal uses Culture and Empathy’s Submission Portal to manage the submission process. The Submission Portal allows you to see your submissions online. To submit your manuscript please click here.Please note that Culture and Empathy uses Crossref™ to screen papers for unoriginal material. By submitting your paper to Culture and Empathy you are agreeing to originality checks during the peer-review and production processes.On acceptance, we recommend that you keep a copy of your Accepted Manuscript. Find out more about sharing your work.
There are no submission fees, publication fees or page charges for this journal.Color figures will be reproduced in color in your online article free of charge.
Since Culture and Empathy is an open access quarterly, there is no copyright option.
Culture and Empathy is an open access online journal.
On publication, you will be able to view, download and check your article’s metrics (downloads, citations, and metric data). This is where you can access every article you have published with us, as well as your free PDF link, so you can quickly and easily share your work with friends and colleagues.
You can download free PDF versions of your articles for free for dissemination to your community.
Should you have any queries, please contact us here.